Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Zesty Lemon Pie

This recipe was on the cover of Southern Living Magazine in August I think.



Lemon Ice Box Pie
Southern Living, August 2010


Total: 6 hours 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Ingredients

* 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
* 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted
* 6 egg yolks
* 2 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
* 1 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
* Garnishes: lemon slices, fresh mint leaves

Preparation (with pictures of my pie)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 2 ingredients; add butter, stirring until blended. Press mixture on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).





While the pie crust cooled I juiced my lemons.




2. Whisk together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust.







3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 4 hours.

Apparently I don't believe in wire racks because my pictures say I didn't use one.



4. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form; dollop over chilled pie. Garnish, if desired.

*I made this pie just for my husband and myself so I made whipped cream in my ISI cream whipper and stored it in the refrigerator so we could have fresh whipped cream with every slice. I knew if I put it all on top when I made it it would go flat by the time we ate the whole pie. So if I make this to serve to more than two people I would prepare the cream and dollop as instructed, however for the two of us making it in the cream whipper made more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment